Violence Against Men & Boys
in New Zealand

Men and boys can also be affected by gender-based violence whether it be committed by another man or by a woman. Like women, men and boys can also be victims of rape, forced marriage, or domestic violence by a family member, partner or spouse.

About Abuse Towards Males

Men and boys make up approximately 39% of New Zealand's sexual violence victims, and approximately 40% of those victims were abused by their mother or another female relative.

The latest New Zealand based statistics available are from 2013, which report that:

  • 4.4% of men were likely to be the victim of a violent interpersonal offence by an intimate partner (est. 94,484).
  • 2.7% of men were likely to have experienced threats and damage committed by an intimate partner (est. 63,776).
  • 2.5% of men were likely to have experienced a physical offence committed by an intimate partner (est. 59,052).
  • 0.5% of men were likely to have experienced a sexual offence committed by an intimate partner (est.11810) .
  • 17% of men were likely to have experienced psychological violence (or abuse) committed by an intimate partner (est. 401557).

There are indications that only about 10% of male victims of female violence report the incidents to the authorities, mainly due to taboos and fears of misunderstanding created by a culture of masculine expectations.

Domestic violence against men is made far more difficult to tackle in New Zealand because of a systemic discrimination against men in our society. Men fear losing their relationships, their homes, their children, and their social standing if they report the abuse and end the relationship. Without appropriate resources as backing, men flounder through systems that favour women and run the risk of losing everything - eventually ending up homeless and/or mentally exhausted and suicidal.

Where to get Help

You can ring 111 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger.

You can contact an advocate for abused men using our Advocacy Services.

If you would like to contact the police about a person abusing you but not urgently you can call 105 or visit your local police station. An officer will talk to you about all the options available to you.

If you're affected by family violence and have been working in a job for at least 6 months, you can get up to 10 days' family violence leave. You can also ask for short-term flexible work arrangements.

Find out more about male victims of domestic violence below:


Please help us reach out to others by sharing this page: